March 26, 2011

Moving Pictures

Spouse and I bought our first movie camera in the 1970s. It was a Bell & Howell model with a light attachment that was so blinding to its subjects that it may have been visible from outer space. The movie reels lasted only three minutes. Nonetheless, we were excited to be on the cutting edge of technology. Spouse preferred to let me be the photographer.

In the 1980s, we got a camcorder that recorded small cassettes, and didn't require a light attachment. None of the full sized VHS tape stuff for us. We wanted the latest technology. The cassettes fit into a VHS-sized adapter, which then fit into the VCR. One of our offspring was a bit camera shy, and the other was not (by a long shot). This made for some fantastic and memorable vacation video still talked about today. Spouse still preferred to let me be the photographer. Our offspring would occasionally use the camera, with increasing talent, and some of the results were even used as school projects.

In the 2000s, the latest thing in camcorders was the mini DVD burner, and we had to have one. This camera was smaller, lighter, and easier to use than ever before. I still found myself playing family photographer, but, on a coast to coast road trip, decided to assign spouse the job of shooting the Grand Canyon, as I was busy with the digital camera. My training was more sketchy than I realized. I have several photos of spouse with the camera held in filming position.
However, spouse apparently confused "on" with "off", and we got barely any footage of the Grand Canyon, and all kinds of footage of spouse's feet and lap in the car. On a different day, there was also some interesting upside down footage of the Hoover Dam. To this day I am not sure if these blatant examples of filming incompetence were deliberate. Also to this day I have not handed the camcorder back to spouse.


The new latest thing in camcorders is digital uploadable to Youtube. This is something we must have. Our DVD camcorder still works fine, but I can't upload the video. Our offspring and her spouse got a Flip a couple of years ago, and proclaimed it foolproof. Perfect for us (me)! This same offspring and spouse will soon be presenting us with a grandchild, and now that we have our very own Flip, we will be ready to record and upload every little thing that precious baby does. Great-grandparents, great-aunts and -uncles, first cousins once removed (or is that second cousins?) will all want to watch that sweet baby grow and change. And we will be set to go, as soon as we (I) perfect filming techniques on the cat.

Smile for the camera, Rooster!

No comments:

Post a Comment