February 4, 2011

Winter Wonderland

Snowy scenes look so pretty in photos. There are millions of people who have never seen snow and many who imagine that snow is magical. Years of shoveling and scraping have cured me, and this past week has only confirmed my feelings for the dreaded white stuff. Plus, now I know how much snow hurts.

What is there to do when spouse and I are stuck in the house due to inclement weather? Let's paint some bedrooms. After the first, my leg muscles were screaming something about deep knee bends that my ears couldn't quite hear. At least I didn't fall down. Spouse painted circles around me. What's up with that?

A week ago we had a mix of snow and rain that was as heavy as cement to shovel, although it was perfect for making snowmen and igloos. Since I neglected to coat the shovel with Pam, half of every shovelful stuck on. Exercise reminds me of all the muscles I don't use, and this particular exercise pulled muscles that not only haven't been used recently, but have already retired. At least I didn't fall down.

Four days later, spouse threw out his back getting off the couch. Pain was so bad he had to fall back on it and stay there for hours. Heavy duty analgesics helped, and each day he felt a little better.

Then we had another winter storm. There is a particular spot where our walk meets the driveway that always gets icy, and it behooves us to watch our step. We can climb around it using the snowbanks, or tough it out on the walk. I knew there would be ice, but the thin layer of new snow made it hard to spot. Baby step after baby step, I slowly approached the danger zone, knowing I could fall and being more careful than I have ever been. It was a splendid five point landing; two hands, two knees, one purse. The first thing you do when you fall is to get up before someone sees you. Then you determine if there is damage. I was lucky on both scores.

Three days later, spouse's back was coming along nicely. So were the icy patches on the driveway. Although we've been getting a lot of rain, not snow, we know what happens to puddles overnight in the winter. Walking down the driveway to get the mail can be hazardous, so spouse was taking safe, small steps. He made it almost to the bottom of the driveway, then after his feet flew into the air, made a perfect one point landing, right on his seat. He was not concerned about being seen. He was concerned about breaking a hip, which did not happen. His twisting maneuver, which would have earned him a 10 in a gymnastics' event, succeeded in reinjuring his back.

It is now two days later, and we are facing another winter storm tomorrow. Spouse's back is feeling a little better, but his sit-upon is sore. My back is better, and my knees are feeling almost normal. The bruise on my leg from the run-in with a bookcase is the size of a dessert plate, just as colorful, and is not nearly as swollen as it was. But we have 1.25 gallons of paint and a brand new paint roller extender... And we have two rolls of masking tape, and drop cloths aplenty...We are going to paint another bedroom.

What's the worst thing that can happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment